Friday, November 14, 2008

Obama's Attempted Pacification of a Hillary Supporter Fails: News at 11!

I feel I must at this time vent my annoyance regarding President-Elect Barack Obama. Before I do, I think you should know that I voted for him and think he is an amazing orator, a good man and an inspiration to many people, but that I am also one of those “die hard” Hillary Clinton supporters. I am still rather embittered and, though we as a group may come across as a trifle crazy, I agree with the Clinton die hard consensus that she was robbed. I know the election or the nomination doesn’t belong to anyone (which, I might add, is more or less Ralph Nader’s stance on the 2000 election, so mind your bedfellows), but, honestly, she was robbed.

Leaving that hardened bitterness aside, I turn instead to the more recent actions of our noble President-Elect. Upon his election last week (was it just last week?) I decided to let myself be swept up in the tide of optimism that he brought with him. I grew excited about the possibilities for his Cabinet rather than focusing on his election which still wasn’t really getting me all excited. A friend mentioned to me that John Kerry was vying for the Secretary of State position and I allowed myself to get all happy about the wonderful possibility of John Kerry as our ambassador to the world. I thought pleasantly back to his 2004 jaunts to France, where he exhibited his fluency in the native language. I was reminded of all the reasons I voted for him in 2004: his intelligence, his experience and his passion to change things for the better. I was reminded of Teresa Heinz Kerry’s worldliness and her own proficiency with languages (English, Spanish, French and Italian, not to mention her native tongue of Portuguese). I got hopeful and excited and I crossed my fingers that Obama would choose Kerry.

I woke up this morning to the news that is has been leaked by some source or other (“two Democratic officials in close contact with the Obama transition team,” claims the AP wire) that Obama is considering Hillary Clinton for the position of Secretary of State. This information was painted with the brush of “he’s doing this to appease the die hard Hillary people because they’re still pissed she didn’t get the VP slot.” As a die hard Hillary person who is, in fact, still pissed about not just the VP slot but the entire presidency, I cannot think of a worse way to appease me then by giving Hillary the Secretary of State position. I was all geared up for Kerry and I was all excited that his exit from the Senate would leave Hillary the opportunity to become the next Ted Kennedy, the new Liberal Lion of the Senate. Now he’s ruining that dream, too? Honestly, Mr. Obama, can you do no right by the die hard Hillary people?

I am only slightly heartened by the fact that the AP also mentioned, in a dinky sentence at the end of the article, Chuck Hagel, John Kerry and Bill Richardson as other possible candidates. All the same, I can’t help but wonder if the leak was the metaphorical test balloon to gauge people’s reactions to the idea of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State. From what I understand of these matters, things do not get leaked unless someone wants the information out there. Excuse my paranoia while I go off to hope that Obama doesn’t ruin this for me, too.

2 comments:

KT said...

The New York Times is reporting that she is the contender at the moment...I don't know, I never got the feeling it was just to placate people, though the probably shows my political naivety. I'd like to think that Obama has a genuine respect for her intelligence and stamina and wants to put the smartest people he can think of on his cabinet. He's certainly not under any obligation to involve her at all in this administration, and I think it's great he's including her (even though I am not particularly a fan).

But then, I guess I don't really see the allure of John Kerry in that position, so maybe that's coloring my view a little. And I don't think Hillary Clinton would have taken the Vice Presidency. But those are just my two (okay, maybe three or four) cents.

Corey said...

I am sure he is not looking at Clinton solely to pacify her supporters, that would just be idiotic and Obama is anything but, but I would think that it is an angle his transition team must be considering. I also realize there is no formal obligation, but c'mon! You're telling me all that campaign angst is just going no where? I think there is a some feeling of due respect towards Clinton.

Who would you chose for the position if neither Clinton nor Kerry appeal? Richardson? Keep Condi? Someone random?

Honestly, I'm less impassioned about this whole issue than I was before (mostly, I think, because I'm all newsed out and have even lost my Cabinet-enthusiasm) to the point of not really caring whether she is chosen or not.