Monday, January 05, 2009

A Year in a Brown Tweed Coat

I bought a brown tweed coat about a year ago. A girl who I considered to be a mythical being finally personified, that is, the alleged best friend for life you meet in college, accompanied me and was extremely helpful since she had once worked at some sort of coat-selling establishment. She told me to stretch out my arms in front of me and make sure the back fit and then walked around the store with me to see if I was comfortable in the tweed coat. Not too hot, not too cold.

I bought the coat because it was getting warm and my winter coat simply seemed too heavy to bear. So I bought the thinner brown tweed and dubbed it my spring coat. It was more autumnal than anything with its dark brown buttons and black spots and it proceeded to do little more than take up space in my small closet for the rest of the year. As it hung forgotten and increasingly pushed to the side by brightly colored spring skirts and tops, my relationship with that girl similarly withered and was pushed to the side by new friendships and increasing amounts of unspoken misunderstandings.

I hung the brown tweed coat up on a metal hook at my still relatively new job today and for a moment pondered it. I bought the coat about a year ago, but never really used it much until this winter. My heavy black winter coat now simply seemed too warm and too dreary to come out very much and the brown tweed has become a daily part of my wardrobe. I looked at the brown tweed coat on that metal hook that would have been utterly foreign to me a year ago and is now so familiar and was struck by how much can change in a year.

A year ago, this now slightly ratty-looking brown tweed coat was completely new. The buttons were firmly sewn to the coat and didn’t dangle in a worn way when not in use. The pockets didn’t sag out a little bit from stuffing too much in them and there was no pilling on the arms. A year ago, I had this friend who I thought was going to finally be the one to carry forward. I had a great apartment and great roommates and I was a student, and all that entails. Now I come to work and hang my brown tweed up on that crowded metal hook five days a week and I haven’t heard from that friend in over half a year. School is something that exists in the past and future for me, but not in the present, and most of the people I knew there have ebbed away.

This isn’t to say everything is now a dreary overcoat. Oddly, even though retrospectively I feel like I had it all a year ago, I’m vastly more optimistic in this January moment than I was that January a year ago in Target as I perused the coats, tailed by my friend. There is more hope now and less bleakness. There are fewer friends, but more keepers. There’s a smaller apartment, but a bigger possibility. There is a thinner, more worn coat, but I like to think I have more places to hang it.

5 comments:

KT said...

Aw. This made my day :) What a great post!

I almost made a comment about how we all have our worn overcoats, but then I thought of Austin in the RSC saying, "One man in his time plays many parts. How true!" for some reason, and then my comment didn't make any sense and just seemed kind of snarky. Not like this one makes any more sense. I blame the jet lag.

Also, I only keep in close contact with maybe one friend from college now, which is sad, but I guess that's just the way life is :\ FRIENDS DISCARDED LIKE WORN-OUT OVERCOATS! Or something. I don't know.

Corey said...

Huzzah! I'm so glad you liked it since I'm rather fond of it myself. :)

Indeed, your comment was quite nonsensical, but fun anyway! It's nice to hear you don't really keep up with college peeps either.

I have an updated theory that grad school is the new college in a way. A generation ago, college was where you met your friends and your life-mate and had your "best four years ever" experiences, but I think for our generation, graduate school might be that way instead of college. Since basically everyone is now going to college, graduate school as become the new thing that only a few do. (My mom carries this further and suggests that soon a PhD will be the new graduate school and that everyone will have a BA and MA and only a few will go on to get a PhD, but that seems a little extreme to me.)

And that was so long it could have been its own post. Yeesh. Anyway...as my friend in graduate school, any truth there?

Mike said...

Once again, I love the way you write.

From my MS experience so far, I think graduate school can be like that. You are with people who are also passionate about what you want to do, so it's probably easier to bond with people (as opposed to how you bonded with that friend).

KT said...

I agree with Mike -- it's amazing to be in a program where everyone feels the same level of enthusiasm about your field! In my program, if all else fails in a conversation, we just start talking about our favorite books and we're good :) That doesn't mean you're going to bond with everyone, certainly, but it definitely makes things easier. Plus, these people could be your colleagues for the rest of your life, which makes it more likely you'll stay close with them in the future.

Corey said...

Glad to hear it! That bodes extremely well for next year. Now all I have to do is actually get in...